Department curriculum committees and faculty senates should check all of these common problems before approving a curriculum packet. Failing to do so could cause delays in the review process at the UCC/GCCC meetings.
_____ Review your whole programIf a program comes to UCC for review, the committee will evaluate the whole program, not just the edited parts.
- Take the opportunity to review all courses, pre-requisites, requirements and electives.
_____ Watch for hidden pre-requisites
- Hidden pre-requisites are unlisted and uncounted courses that are pre-requisite for a required course in a program.
- If a student must take a pre-requisite course before taking a required course, that pre-requisite must be listed as part of the program.
- If a program comes to UCC for any edits, the committee will review the entire program for hidden pre-requisites.
_____ Consider if your course edits are substantive enough that it should be a new course
_____ Attach consultations to proposals
- Consultations are required when you are adding or dropping courses used in programs in another department.
- Consultations with programs that have similar or overlapping content are required.
- Consultations with the Rod Library are standard.
_____ Initiate departmental/library consultations as a courtesy when dropping courses
_____ Attach a syllabus to any new or substantially changed course proposals
- If the course has been taught under an experimental number, attach that syllabus.
- If the course has not been taught, attach a draft or example syllabus.
- If the course description is changing substantially, attach a draft syllabus reflecting content updates.
_____ Count your hours
- No new extended programs will be allowed and no existing extended programs my increase.
- Maximum program lengths are: BAS (30 hrs), BA/B:A (62 hrs), BS (68 hrs), BFA/BMusic/BA-Teaching (80 hrs).
- LAC courses do not have to be included in the maximum allowed count (double counting).
- See “Watch for hidden pre-requisites” above
_____ Substantive errors or required edits that arise in a proposal review at UCC/GCCC, which are not addressed in college or departmental
reviews, may require the proposal go back through the next curricular cycle.
_____ Truth in Advertising
- Be sure that all requirements and expectations of a program are clearly and accurately represented in the catalog description and requirements.
- Students should be able to easily interpret and navigate the catalog requirements.