Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do I do if I catch a student cheating?

A: The first thing to remember is that you're not in it alone. Contact your department head for support and advice. The university's policies state that a low or failing grade for unacceptable work is not in and of itself considered a disciplinary action, even if such a grade leads to a lower grade in the course. Disciplinary action can include reducing the course grade over and above any reduction from the lower grade due to unacceptable work. In particularly egregious cases, the instructor may recommend that the student be suspended from the university for at least a semester. If any disciplinary action is taken,  the instructor must inform the student in writing and copy the Associate Provost for Academic Affairs Kavita Dhanwada and the instructor’s department head.  If the student’s major is in another department, a copy should go to head of the student’s department as well. For details consult Academic Ethics Policies


Q: How do I get travel funds?

A: Your department will provide funds, sometimes augmented by your college, to reimburse travel for professional purposes. Work with the department secretary to process travel reimbursement requests. The Intercollegiate Academics Fund (IAF) reimburses students, who may be collaborating with faculty on research or creative activity, for their travel to conferences and competitions; if you are traveling with students who have received an IAF award, you may apply for travel funds, prior to travel, through the provost's Faculty Sponsorship Fund. See the University Travel Guidelines for details on procedures and allowable expenses.


Q: What research support exists?

A: The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs can help with writing grant applications and serves as a resource for funding opportunities. The Graduate College awards Summer Fellowships and Professional Development Assignments. Your college may also offer small grants.


Q: How do I keep informed about campus events?

A: Inside UNI is a is a digest of announcements that is emailed to the campus community twice a week. Check Inside UNI--which can be accessed from the UNI home page--for up-to-date announcements, news and the complete UNI calendar.


Q: How do I help my advisees?

A: The Academic Advising Portal provides information and resources for advising undergraduate students.  The Office of Academic Advising (273-3406) and the Office of the Registrar (273-2241) also provide information and online resources for both students and faculty.  The Directory of University Referral Resources found under the Resources menu on the Office of Academic Advising website provides guidance and contact information for making referrals on campus.

Questions regarding transferring credits from another institution should be directed to the Office of Admissions (273-2281).  A list of transfer course equivalencies from Iowa community colleges can be found on the admissions office webpage for transfer students.

Students in any major in the College of Business or in the Early Childhood and/or Elementary Education academic programs should be directed to the advising centers in their respective colleges.


Q: Who do I contact if I have a technology problem in my office or classroom?

A: Contact UNI's Service Hub for information.

    To report a problem, go to or call 273-5555


Q: Does UNI offer discount plans for purchasing computer hardware and software?

A: Yes, UNI offers a variety of hardware and software purchase plans, and there is some software available for free. See Software Purchasing and Downloading for more information.