Getting Connected

You can get connected to UNI long before you step foot on campus. The first and second steps should be completed before you come to campus, at least one month before classes begin. 

Step 1: Establish Your University ID Number and Username, and Username and Email

Your University ID number (UID) and username (CatID) must be created before your department can start your hiring paperwork and request your email account. Use the link below to create your UID and CatID if you have not done so already.

Create My University ID and CatID

Then call your department and give the secretary your UID. Ask the secretary to request an
early email account set up for you.

Step 2: Log into MyUNIverse and Your Email

When you use the UID and CatID link above and complete the secure form, the screen will display your UID and CatID and will include information on your initial password for MyUNIverse. You will be prompted to reset your password the first time you log into MyUNIverse.

MyUNIverse is a portal for accessing email, pay slips, class lists, and using many other online tools. MyUNIverse can be reached any time from the UNI webpage: look for the “MyUNIverse” tab at the top of any page. Some applications including class lists will not be available until after your new hire paperwork has been processed.


When your email account has been established, your department secretary will let you know. You can then log into your email by choosing the “Email” tab at the top of the UNI webpage. Your password will be the same as your MyUNIverse password.

UNI uses Gmail and is a Google Apps campus.

Using Email

Google Apps

Step 3:  Come to Campus to Submit HR Paperwork and Buy Parking Pass 

Submit HR Paperwork 

As soon as you arrive in Cedar Falls, come to  Gilchrist Hall to submit your new hire paperwork to Human Resource Services (HRS), 027 Gilchrist. You can also buy a parking pass at Parking Services, 030 Gilchrist, if needed. Parking passes go on sale on August 1. Summer hours for both HRS and Parking Services are Monday – Friday 7:30 am – 4:30 pm. Beginning August 14, HRS will be open 8:00 am – 5:00 pm on weekdays and Parking Services will be open 8:00 am – 6:00 pm Monday – Thursday and 8:00 am – 5:00 pm on Friday.

Where should I park? You can pay to park in the metered areas to the east and west of Gilchrist Hall or park in the lot for which you intend to buy a parking pass. Please review the parking permit policies and parking map before arriving on campus.  You can purchase a parking permit after you have submitted your new hire paperwork to HRS.

Note: If you receive a ticket for not having a parking permit on the same day you buy a parking pass for that specific lot, your ticket could be voided. The ticket would need to be brought to Parking Services for verification of your purchase. 

Campus Parking Map 

New Hire Paperwork Information

Buy a Parking Pass 

After submitting your new hire paperwork, take your employment verification letter to Parking Services (Gilchrist 30) and purchase your parking permit. The cost of the parking permit can be deducted from your future payroll or you can pay with cash or check.

Parking Permit Information

Step 4:  Set up Your Office

Computer—Your department will arrange for a computer for you. If you need additional assistance setting up your computer, call your college technical representative or the ITS Computer Consulting Center at 273-5555.  For a list of college technical representatives, see the FAQ

Class Lists—Your class lists will be available through the Student Information System (SIS). Once your new hire paperwork is completely processed, you can access SIS through MyUNIverse. Look for Faculty Center under the “Academics” tab.  A SIS training will be included in the August New Faculty Orientation. 

Faculty Center – Student Information System 

Keys and Phone—Your department secretary will set these up for you when you arrive.

Step 5:  Get Your ID Card 

You can get your UNI ID Card at the Department of Residence (DOR) office at the Redeker Center. The DOR office is open weekdays during the summer from 7:30 am-4:30 pm. Beginning August 14, the hours will be 8:00 am-5:00 pm. Bring a picture ID and your UNI ID number with you. 

Additional Links 

Campus Maps and Directions 
University Calendar 
Online  Directory 
UNI Alert